Peppermint Candy – December 2018
The Christmas season is a special time of joy, spending time with family and friends, and reflecting on our traditions and values. Hanging peppermint candy canes on our Christmas tree, and eating a few throughout the season, is part of that nostalgic tradition. Umpqua Dairy is proud to announce our December Flavor of the Month: Peppermint Candy, a delicious ice cream flavored with real pieces of peppermint candy. Refreshing and cool hard peppermint candy goes hand in hand with those chilly winter days. You will love this premium ice cream chock full of the flavor of Christmas.
Did you know - Smith Kendon developed Altoids in 1780 to relieve intestinal discomfort, and Life Savers introduced its Pep-O-Mint flavor in 1912. In 1927, Eduard Haas, of Vienna, Austria, invented peppermint Pez candy along with the original dispenser.
Flavor of the Month Recipes
Easy Individual Peppermint Pies
- 1 pkg. Oreo cookies
- 3 Tbsp. melted butter
- 8 oz container whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 gallon Umpqua Peppermint Candy ice cream
- Crush 25 of the Oreo cookies. I used a blender, but you can place the cookies in a zip-lock bag and smash them with a hammer/mallet also. Melt the butter and combine with the Oreo crumbs. Press crumbs into the bottom of mini cheesecake or muffin tins to form crust.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ice cream with the whipped topping. I let my ice cream sit on the counter for about 20 minutes before mixing - it makes this process much easier! Scoop the mixture over the crust into the tins and freeze until ready to serve. Slide a knife around the edge of the tins to loosen pop them onto a plate.
- I topped mine with some chocolate syrup and a few more crushed Oreos! Enjoy!
Peppermint Eggnog Punch
- 1 qt of Umpqua Peppermint Candy ice cream
- 1 qt of Umpqua Dairy Old Fashioned Egg Nog
- 1 cup of rum (optional)
- 1-2 10oz. bottle of chilled ginger ale
- Peppermint sticks (optional)
- Place ice cream in a large chilled bowl; stir until softened.
- Gradually stir in eggnog. (If desired, stir in rum.)
- Transfer to a punch bowl; add desired amount of ginger ale to reach desired consistency.
- If desired, top each serving with additional peppermint ice cream and peppermint sticks.* Makes 18 (4-ounce) servings *